12 April 2006

dyeing brown eggs makes for some interesting and not so pastel colors


So, oh at just about 5:00pm on Tuesday evening I was finishing up at work & I realized that since Garrett will be at his Dad's on Easter weekend, that I better hop to it (pun intended) & get the egg dyeing underway. I figured out our schedule: Tuesday night - hard boil the eggs, Wednesday night - color the eggs. (G is with his Dad Thursday through Sunday). I made a quick grocery list for supplies needed: vinegar, food coloring (I have not attempted to use 'natural dyes' using beets & such - someday), eggs... No I just bought eggs last weekend so we're good on eggs.

I get Garrett off to bed Tuesday evening & get some water on the stove to boil. At about 10:00pm I take the eggs out of the fridge & suddenly remember 'The eggs are brown!' The organic, cage free eggs I have are BROWN & may not work so well if you are trying to make pastel colored eggs. After the involuntary 'Oh crap' I quickly move on to "Garrett will understand that we are going to call this dyeing brown egg thing, our 'Easter experiment 2006'". And thankfully Garrett rolled along with it. When I told him Wednesday morning about our egg 'situation', he was just gung ho to know that we'd be dyeing eggs later that night.

We got going on the dyeing & I think they turned out pretty cool. Definitely not your typical easter pastel, but some groovy colors. Oh & it was G's decision to not do anything tricky with the egg dyeing. He wanted to just simply dye them - one color. Sometimes simple is better.

2 Comments:

Blogger AnnoyingLizard said...

Wow, the brown eggs look better than the white do when dyed! Have a great Easter!

10:41 PM  
Blogger Trouble In Mind said...

Thank you & happy Easter! I noticed today that Ms. Martha Stewart suggest using brown eggs for muted colors... She also suggest some neat natural dyes (coffee for some nice mocha colored eggs & beets for pinks). I have to try some natural dyes sometime).

9:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home