11 April 2006

thank you mr. terry zwigoff

Last night I was lucky enough to see the new Daniel Clowes/Terry Zwigoff movie: Art School Confidential. Really enjoyable - definitely recommend. I am somewhat newer to the comic world - unless you count my long time subscription to the East Village Inky - a zine that has some hilaaarious drawings throughout each issue. Anyhoo, besides the Daniel Clowes element, Terry Zwigoff directs. I really liked the three other Zwigoff flicks I've seen: Crumb, Ghost World & Bad Santa.

So the climax to the evening was a Q & A with Mr. Terry Zwigoff himself. Now I have been to other Q & A's before & the one thing you can always count on is that most of the people asking the questions have nothing to say - they just like getting to talk in front of a captive audience - schmucks! Before it starts, the emcee announces that the Q & A will be taped for the DVD release. I rolled my eyes & grabbed my friends arm & said "Lovely, now people will ask more inane questions". Mr. Zwigoff started off with this great story about a Q & A at Sundance & how people are indeed dumb in these circumstances. Then he said something like 'The smart people always keep quiet'. I thought it was brilliant & perhaps he was doing some verbal crowd control because for the most part people seemed to be on their best/smartest behavior with the questions/comments.

I had wanted to include a picture of the poster for the movie (the one with the Clowes illustration) - but couldn't find any... Apparently they aren't making them available - yet? Maybe when the movie opens in May.

Irrelevant side note: Today at work in the client parking lot was a convertible BMW with a license plate that read "BONG".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home